Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
Stratford-upon-Avon is ideal for day visits from London or as a base for exploring nearby; depending on your love of Shakespeare, you probably won't need more than a day or two here. Warwick can be explored in an hour or two, but castle lovers could spend half a day in the many lines at busy Warwick Castle. A drive through the area's country lanes is a pleasant way to spend a day; a stop at any stately home (check hours) will take a few hours. You're also near the northern Cotswolds if you want to explore the countryside further.
Birmingham, where the museums and sights take a full day to explore, makes a logical base if you want cosmopolitan city life. It's easy to reach the countryside from the smaller cities of Hereford, Shrewsbury, and Chester, but if you want to walk the hills, Ludlow is a good gateway for Wenlock Edge, as is Great Malvern or Ledbury for the Malvern Hills. In the north of the region, Ironbridge Gorge and Chester demand a full day each. Ludlow and Shrewsbury take less time, though it would be a shame to leave Ludlow without sampling its fine dining, and Shrewsbury makes a good central base. Once you've gone as far north as this, you might consider going on to Liverpool, if the Beatles and maritime history have any appeal, or to north Wales.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $96 & Up: Holiday Inn Coventry South 3-Star Hotel in Coventry Expedia
- Coventry Savings! Book at Britannia Coventry Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Save at 3-Star Novotel Coventry: $145 & Up in May — $145 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Coventry this May Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Coventry Savings! Book at Ramada & Suites Coventry Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Expedia