Originally built in 1483 "of brike and tymber" for a lord mayor of London, New Place was Stratford's grandest piece of real estate when Shakespeare bought it in 1597 for £60. Along with a celebrated mulberry tree, revered for being planted by Shakespeare himself, the house was torn down in 1759 by the Reverend Francis Gastrell, who was angry at the hordes of Shakespeare-related sightseers. This in turn provoked the wrath of the local inhabitants, who drove him out of town. Now imaginatively reinterpreted to mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death in 1616, it shows the footprint of the original house and focuses on a deep, illuminated pool. Next door is Nash's House, the residence of Thomas Nash, who married Shakespeare's last direct descendant, his granddaughter Elizabeth Hall; it holds finds from recent excavations of the area. The grounds contain a restored Elizabethan knot garden and a fine display of cloud topiary. The site is currently closed for a massive restoration project, with a projected reopening of July 2016. Check the website for further details.