Dating back to 1416, the Guildhall is occupied by King Edward's Grammar School, which Shakespeare probably attended as a boy; it's still used as a school. On the first floor is the Guildhall proper, where traveling acting companies performed. Many historians believe that it was after seeing the troupe known as the Earl of Leicester's Men in 1587 that Shakespeare got the acting bug and set off for London. The Guildhall is only open a few days a year, sometimes during school vacations. Some investigating is usually required to find out what days these are. Immediately beyond the Guildhall on Church Street is a row of 15th-century timber-and-daub almshouses, built for the poor and now serving as housing for pensioners.
Church St, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 6EP, England