- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Worcester Cathedral Review
There are few more quintessentially English sights than that of Worcester Cathedral, its towers overlooking the green expanse of the county cricket ground, and its majestic image reflected in the swift-flowing waters of the River Severn. A cathedral has stood on this site since 680, and much of what remains dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. Notable exceptions are the Norman crypt (built in the 1080s), the largest in England, and the ambulatory, a cloister built around the east end. The most important tomb in the cathedral is that of King John (1167–1216), one of the country's least-admired monarchs, who alienated his barons and subjects through bad administration and heavy taxation and in 1215 was forced to sign that great charter of liberty, the Magna Carta. Don't miss the beautiful decoration in the vaulted chantry chapel of Prince Arthur, Henry VII's elder son, whose body was brought to Worcester after his death at Ludlow in 1502.
The medieval library (accessible by pre-booked tour only) holds around 300 medieval manuscripts, dating from the 10th century onwards. Worcester is 7 miles north of Great Malvern.
- Address: College Yard, at High St. Worcester, WR1 2LA | Map It
- Phone: 01905/732900; 01905/732922 library tour bookings
- Cost: Free; Cathedral tours £4; library tours £5
- Hours: Daily 7:30–6; tower Mar.–mid-July, Sept., and Oct., Sat. 11–5 (last entry 4:30), mid-July–Aug., school and bank holidays daily 11–5 (last entry 4:30); tours Apr.–Nov., Mon.–Sat. 11 and 2:30; Dec.–Mar., Sat. 11 and 2:30
- Website: www.worcestercathedral.co.uk
- Location: Great Malvern
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe this summer (July), and after months of debate, we've decided to forgo the "tour" route and plan the whole thing ourselves. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more