- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Hereford Cathedral and Mappa Mundi
Hereford Cathedral and Mappa Mundi Review
Built of local red sandstone, Hereford Cathedral retains a large central tower and some fine 11th-century Norman carvings, although most of the interior is 19th century. There are also some exquisite contemporary stained-glass windows in the Audley Chapel. However, its main attractions are two great treasures: a 12th-century chair, to the left of the high altar, one of the earliest pieces of furniture in the country and reputedly used by King Stephen; and the Mappa Mundi, the largest medieval map of the world still in existence. Drawn in about 1300, it's a fascinating glimpse of how the medieval mind viewed the world: Jerusalem is shown dead center, the Garden of Eden at the edge, Europe and Africa are the wrong way round—and, of course, there are no Americas. In addition to land masses, the map details 500 individual drawings, including cities, Biblical stories, mythical creatures and images of how people in different corners of the globe were thought to look—the last two frequently overlapping in wildly imaginative fashion. The map is held inside a chained library, containing some 1,500 books, among them an 8th-century copy of the Four Gospels. Chained libraries, in which books were attached to cupboards to discourage theft, are extremely rare: they date from medieval times, when books were as precious as gold. Tours of the cathedral (without the library), tower and garden run through summer; call to confirm times.
- Address: Cathedral Close, Hereford, HR1 2NG | Map It
- Phone: 01432/374200
- Cost: Mappa Mundi and chained library exhibition £6; cathedral tours £4; tower tours £4; garden tours £5
- Hours: Cathedral Mon.–Sat. 9:15–5:30, Sun. 9:15–3:30; Mappa Mundi and chained library exhibition Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 10–5, Nov.–Mar., Mon.–Sat. 10–4; cathedral tours Mon.–Sat., 11 and 2; tower tours Apr.–Oct., Wed. and Thurs. 11:30–2:30; garden tours June–Sept., Wed. and Sat. 2:30.
- Website: www.herefordcathedral.org
- Location: Hereford
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
I am planning a trip to England in mid-September for 8-9 days. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more