- Shakespeare in Stratford To see a play by Shakespeare in the town where he was born—and perhaps after you've visited his birthplace or other sites—is a magical experience.
- The city of Birmingham The revamped city center shows off its superb art collections and cultural facilities, international cuisine, and renowned Jewellery Quarter.
- Half-timber architecture Black-and-white half-timber houses are a mark of pride throughout the region; there are concentrations of buildings from medieval times to the Jacobean era in Chester, Shrewsbury, and Ludlow.
- Ironbridge Gorge Recall the beginnings of England's Industrial Revolution at this fine complex of industrial-heritage museums.
- Warwick Castle Taking in the history—and some modern kitsch—at this sprawling medieval castle is a fun day out and great for the whole family.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More