- Shakespeare in Stratford To see a play by Shakespeare in the town where he was born—and perhaps after you've visited his birthplace or other sites—is a magical experience.
- The city of Birmingham The revamped city center shows off its superb art collections and cultural facilities, international cuisine, and renowned Jewellery Quarter.
- Half-timber architecture Black-and-white half-timber houses are a mark of pride throughout the region; there are concentrations of buildings from medieval times to the Jacobean era in Chester, Shrewsbury, and Ludlow.
- Ironbridge Gorge Recall the beginnings of England's Industrial Revolution at this fine complex of industrial-heritage museums.
- Warwick Castle Taking in the history—and some modern kitsch—at this sprawling medieval castle is a fun day out and great for the whole family.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More