- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
London is a relatively safe city, though crime does happen (even more so than in New York City), especially in areas of built-up social housing or tourist meccas. If you need to report a theft or an attack, head to the nearest police station (listed in the Yellow Pages or the local directory) or dial 999 for police, fire, or ambulance (be prepared to give the telephone number you're calling from). National Health Service hospitals give free round-the-clock treatment in Accident and Emergency sections, where waits can be an hour or more. As a non-EU foreign visitor, you will be expected to pay for any treatment you receive before you leave the country. Prescriptions are valid only if made out by doctors registered in the United Kingdom. All branches of Boots are dispensing pharmacies.
Doctors and Dentists
Dental Emergency Care Service (020/8748-9365. www.24hour-emergencydentist.co.uk.)
Medical Express Clinic (117A Harley St., Marylebone, London, W1G 6AT. 020/7499-1991 or 0800/980-0700. www.medicalexpressclinic.com.)
UCL Eastman Dental Hospital (256 Gray's Inn Rd., King's Cross, London, WC1X 8LD. 020/3456-7899 or 0845/155-5000. www.uclh.nhs.uk.)
U.S. Embassy (24 Grosvenor Sq., Mayfair, London, W1A 1AE. 020/7499-9000. londonpassportstate.gov. www.usembassy.org.uk.)
General Emergency Contacts
Ambulance, fire, police (999 U.K. only; 112 pan-European.)
Hospitals and Clinics
Charing Cross Hospital (Fulham Palace Rd., Fulham, London, W6 8RF. 020/3311-1234. www.imperial.nhs.uk/charingcross.)
Royal Free Hospital (Pond St., Hampstead, London, NW3 2QG. 020/7794-0500. www.royalfree.nhs.uk.)
St. Thomas's Hospital (Westminster Bridge Rd., Lambeth, London, SE1 7EH. 020/7188-7188. www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk.)
University College Hospital (235 Euston Rd., Bloomsbury, London, NW1 2BU. 0845/155-5000 or 020/3456-7890. www.uclh.nhs.uk.)
Samaritans. Counseling service. 0845/790-9090. www.cls.org.uk.
Boots (44-46 Regent St., Piccadilly Circus, London, W1B 5RA. 020/7734-6126. www.boots.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises