Queen Victoria opened the nearby Holborn Viaduct in 1869, and this eponymous pub honored the road bridge by serving its first pint the same year. Much of the Victorian decoration is still extant, with gilded mirrors, carved wood, and engraved glass. The tavern's haunted reputation stems from its proximity to the former Newgate Prison, site of London's gallows in the 19th century, which once stood on the site. Ex-prison cells in the basement can be seen with a free tour before or after the lunchtime rush and before 5 pm. There are usually three or four ales on tap; lunch is also served.