- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Old Spitalfields Market
Old Spitalfields Market Review
This fine example of a Victorian market hall (once the East End's wholesale fruit and vegetable market), now restored to its original splendor, is at the center of the area's gentrified revival. The original building is now largely occupied by shops, with traders' stalls in the courtyard. A modern shopping precinct under a Norman Foster–designed glass canopy adjoins the old building, home to a large number of independent traders' stalls. Wares range from crafts, vintage and new clothing, handmade rugs, and jewelry, to hand-carved toy trains, unique baby clothes, rare vinyl, and cakes, though you may have to wade through a certain number of stalls selling cheap imports to find the good stuff. Thursday is particularly good for antiques, Friday for fashion, art, and a bi-weekly record fair. And, from Spanish tapas to Thai satays, the food outlets (mostly small, upscale chains but some independent stallholders as well) offer cuisines from around the world.
- Address: 16 Horner Sq., Brushfield St., Spitalfields, London, E1 6EW | Map It
- Phone: 020/7247–8556
- Hours: Stalls Mon.–Wed. 10–5, Thurs. and Sun. 9–5, Fri. 10–4, Sat. 11–5; restaurants weekdays 11–11, Sun. 9–11 am; retail shops daily 10–7
- Website: www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com
- Tube: Liverpool St. London Overground: Shoreditch High St.
- Location: Spitalfields
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Hub and I are arriving in London on the Eurostar and need to get to Fleet River Bakery, near the Holburn tube stop. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more