- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Black Friar Review
A step from Blackfriars Tube station, this spectacular pub has an Arts and Crafts interior that is entertainingly, satirically ecclesiastical, with inlaid mother-of-pearl, wood carvings, stained glass, and marble pillars all over the place. In spite of the finely lettered temperance tracts on view just below the reliefs of monks, fairies, and friars, there is a nice group of ales on tap from independent brewers. The 20th-century poet Sir John Betjeman once led a successful campaign to save the pub from demolition.
- Address: 174 Queen Victoria St., The City, London, EC4V 4EG | Map It
- Phone: 020/7236-5474
- Website: www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theblackfriarblackfriarslondon
- Tube: Blackfriars.
- Location: The City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $142-$165 -- Central London Hotel Through Summer, 30% Off ibis London Euston St. Pancras
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train Europe Express
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
During my planning phase, many Fodorites were very helpful and encouraging, as always! Read more
Given that some quarter million make the trek annually (and even more by train), it's not like climbing Snowdon is scaling Everest. Read more
So those that have been with me from the start you will already know some of this but for those that don't here we go:
In June I am travelling to Europe with my two children (2 & 4) for 4/5weeks with Read more
· News & Features
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll.... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more