- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Review
This spectacular theater is a replica of Shakespeare's open-roof, wood-and-thatch Globe Playhouse (built in 1599 and burned down in 1613), where most of the Bard's greatest works premiered. American actor and director Sam Wanamaker worked ceaselessly for several decades to raise funds for the theater's reconstruction 200 yards from its original site, using authentic materials and techniques, a dream realized in 1997. "Groundlings"—patrons with £5 standing-only tickets—are not allowed to sit during the performance. Fortunately, you can reserve an actual seat on any one of the theater's three levels, but you will want to rent a cushion for £1 (or bring your own) to soften the backless wooden benches. The show must go on, rain or shine, warm or chilly—so come prepared for anything. Umbrellas are banned, but you can bring a raincoat or buy a cheap Globe rain poncho, which doubles as a great souvenir.
Shakespeare's Globe Exhibition, a museum under the theater (the entry is adjacent), provides background material on the Elizabethan theater and the construction of the modern-day Globe. Admission to the museum also includes a tour of the theater. On matinee days, the tour visits the archaeological site of the nearby (and older) Rose Theatre.
- Address: 21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London, SE1 9DT | Map It
- Phone: 020/7902–1400 box office; 020/7401–9919 Exhibition
- Cost: Exhibition and Globe Theatre tour £13.50 (£2 reduction with valid performance ticket); ticket prices for plays vary, £5–£39
- Hours: Exhibition: May–early Oct., daily 10–5; mid-Oct.–Apr., daily 9–12:30 and 1–5; plays: April 23–Oct., call for performance schedule
- Website: www.shakespearesglobe.com
- Tube: London Bridge; Mansion House, then cross Southwark Bridge.
- Location: The South Bank
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
I am planning to visit my daughter age 21, who is attending Univ of London for 2 weeks on a budget of $1200 for 13 days. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached. ... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more