- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Geffrye Museum of the Home
Geffrye Museum of the Home Review
Here's where you can explore the life of London's middle class over the years (in contrast to the lifestyle evoked by the West End's grand aristocratic town houses) thanks to a spectacular array of period rooms. Originally a row of almshouses built in 1714 by Sir Robert Geffrye, a former Lord Mayor of London, this charming museum contains a series of 11 salons that re-create everyday domestic interiors from the Elizabethan period through the 1950s to the present day. One almshouse was restored to its original condition (to visit the almshouse you must go as part of a tour, which is offered at specific times each month). Outside, a series of period gardens charts the evolution of the town garden over the past 400 years, and next to them is a walled herb garden. The museum's extension wing houses the 20th-century galleries, a lovely café overlooking the gardens, and a shop.
- Address: 136 Kingsland Rd., Hoxton, London, E2 8EA | Map It
- Phone: 020/7739–9893
- Cost: Free (charge for special exhibitions); Almshouse £2.50
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. and bank holiday Mons. noon–5; gardens: Apr. 1–Oct. 31
- Website: www.geffrye-museum.org.uk
- Tube: Hoxton (London Overground); Old St., then Bus 243; Liverpool St., then Bus 149 or 242.
- Location: East End
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Our multi-continent family is meeting in London for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more