- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Geffrye Museum of the Home
Geffrye Museum of the Home Review
Here's where you can explore the life of London's middle class over the years (in contrast to the lifestyle evoked by the West End's grand aristocratic town houses) thanks to a spectacular array of period rooms. Originally a row of almshouses built in 1714 by Sir Robert Geffrye, a former Lord Mayor of London, this charming museum contains a series of 11 salons that re-create everyday domestic interiors from the Elizabethan period through the 1950s to the present day. One almshouse was restored to its original condition (to visit the almshouse you must go as part of a tour, which is offered at specific times each month). Outside, a series of period gardens charts the evolution of the town garden over the past 400 years, and next to them is a walled herb garden. The museum's extension wing houses the 20th-century galleries, a lovely café overlooking the gardens, and a shop.
- Address: 136 Kingsland Rd., Hoxton, London, E2 8EA | Map It
- Phone: 020/7739–9893
- Cost: Free (charge for special exhibitions); Almshouse £2.50
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. and bank holiday Mons. noon–5; gardens: Apr. 1–Oct. 31
- Website: www.geffrye-museum.org.uk
- Tube: Hoxton (London Overground); Old St., then Bus 243; Liverpool St., then Bus 149 or 242.
- Location: East End
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are planning a trip next summer and would like to visit England, Scotland, and Wales. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more