- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
It's quite a schlep from the West End to Viajante in Bethnal Green but Portuguese chef/patron/cultural leader Nuno Mendes's ultra-contemporary, avant-garde cuisine is some of the hottest, most exciting in town. Armed with tweezers in a fascinating open-kitchen, El Bulli-trained Mendes doubles down with 3 to-12-course tasting extravaganzas (£35–£95) in the à la modishly converted former Bethnal Green Town Hall. Unusual tastes, textures, and flavors abound—like skate with roasted yeast, set crab milk with beach herbs, or Thai basil panna cotta—but every dish tastes incredible, and looks like high art. Expect rare micro-herbs and Hackney's finest local urban foraged goodies, such as wood sorrel, sweet violets, and honeysuckle, and don't be surprised to be served at your table by the great man Mendes himself. Our advice is simple: Go.
- Address: Town Hall Hotel, Patriot Sq., Bethnal Green East End, London, E2 9NF | Map It
- Phone: 020/7871–0461
- Website: www.viajante.co.uk
- Tube: Bethnal Green tube/rail, Cambridge Heath rail.
- Location: East End
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- No lunch Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Hub and I are arriving in London on the Eurostar and need to get to Fleet River Bakery, near the Holburn tube stop. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more