- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
It's quite a schlep from the West End to Viajante in Bethnal Green but Portuguese chef/patron/cultural leader Nuno Mendes's ultra-contemporary, avant-garde cuisine is some of the hottest, most exciting in town. Armed with tweezers in a fascinating open-kitchen, El Bulli-trained Mendes doubles down with 3 to-12-course tasting extravaganzas (£35–£95) in the à la modishly converted former Bethnal Green Town Hall. Unusual tastes, textures, and flavors abound—like skate with roasted yeast, set crab milk with beach herbs, or Thai basil panna cotta—but every dish tastes incredible, and looks like high art. Expect rare micro-herbs and Hackney's finest local urban foraged goodies, such as wood sorrel, sweet violets, and honeysuckle, and don't be surprised to be served at your table by the great man Mendes himself. Our advice is simple: Go.
- Address: Town Hall Hotel, Patriot Sq., Bethnal Green East End, London, E2 9NF | Map It
- Phone: 020/7871–0461
- Website: www.viajante.co.uk
- Tube: Bethnal Green tube/rail, Cambridge Heath rail.
- Location: East End
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- No lunch Sun.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
I am planning to visit my daughter age 21, who is attending Univ of London for 2 weeks on a budget of $1200 for 13 days. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached. ... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more