- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Lord's Cricket Ground & Museum
Lord's Cricket Ground & Museum Review
The spiritual home of this most English of games and the headquarters of the MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club), Lord's opens its "behind the scenes" areas to visitors. Highlights of the 100-minute tour include the Long Room, a VIP viewing area where portraits of cricketing greats are on display; the players' dressing rooms; and the world's oldest sporting museum, where cricket's 400-year progress from gentlemanly village-green game to worldwide sport is charted via memorabilia, equipment, trophies, and footage of memorable performances. Don't miss the prize exhibit: the urn known as the Ashes—allegedly the remains of a cricket bail (part of the wicket assembly) presented to the English captain in 1883 by a group of Australian women, a jokey allusion to a newspaper's satirical obituary for the death of English cricket published after a resounding defeat. It's been a symbol of the two nations' long-running rivalry ever since. They still play for possession of the Ashes every two years though it's only been an official (as opposed to joke) trophy since 1998. A Waterford crystal version changes hands these days, though the winners still hold a replica of the original urn aloft. Tours are not available during major matches (they're offered during smaller "county" matches), but the museum remains open to match ticket holders.
- Address: St. John's Wood Rd., St. John's Wood, London, NW8 8QN | Map It
- Phone: 020/7616–8595
- Cost: Tour £18. Museum only £7.50 match days
- Hours: Museum Mon.–Fri., 10–5 (hours vary on match days, call to confirm). Tours Apr., daily 10–2; May–Oct., daily 10–3 on the hour, except during major matches; Jan.–Mar., weekdays 11– 2 on the hour, weekends 10–2.
- Website: www.lords.org
- Tube: St. John's Wood.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
My wife and I are planning a trip to London in June. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more