- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Lord's Cricket Ground & Museum
Lord's Cricket Ground & Museum Review
If you can't manage to lay your hands on tickets for a cricket match, the next best thing is to take a tour of the spiritual home of this most English of games. Founded by Thomas Lord, the headquarters of the MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) opens its "behind the scenes" areas to visitors. You can see the Long Room with cricketing art on display; the players' dressing rooms; and the world's oldest sporting museum, where the progress from gentlemanly village-green game to worldwide sport over 400 years is charted. Don't miss the prize exhibit: the urn containing the sport's most iconic trophy, the Ashes—the remains of a cricket bail (part of the wicket assembly) presented to the English captain in 1883, a jokey allusion to a newspaper's premature obituary for the death of English cricket published after the home team's defeat by Australia. The two nations still play for possession of the Ashes every two years. though only a replica actually changes hands these days. Tours are not available during major matches (it's offered during smaller "county" matches), but the museum remains open to match ticket holders.
- Address: St. John's Wood Rd., St. John's Wood, London, NW8 8QN | Map It
- Phone: 020/7616–8595
- Cost: £15. Museum only, £7.50 match days
- Hours: Museum Mon.–Fri., 10–5 (hours vary on match days, call to confirm). Tours Apr.–Oct., daily 10–5, except during major matches; Nov.–Mar., weekdays 10, 11, noon, and 2 (no 10am tour, Jan.–Mar.); weekends 10, 11, noon, 1 and 2.
- Website: www.lords.org
- Tube: St. John's Wood.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Just about have my England itinerary finalized, all accommodations booked (except one). Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more