- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Thames Barrier Visitors' Centre
Thames Barrier Visitors' Centre Review
Built in the early 1980s, the Thames Barrier is the one of the largest and most high-tech flood defense systems in the world. The barrier, which is raised to protect the city during exceptionally high tides, has a starkly futuristic design—sometimes compared to a row of crashed UFOs, bobbing out of the river. Multimedia presentations, a film about the Thames's history, working models, and views of the barrier itself put the importance of the relationship between London and its river in perspective. It's a treat for science and engineering geeks, but perhaps a bit far out of the way if your interest is only casual.
- Address: 1 Unity Way, Eastmoor St., Woolwich, London, SE18 5NJ | Map It
- Phone: 020/8305–4188
- Cost: £3.75
- Hours: Thurs.–Sun. 10:30–5; last entry at 4:30
- Website: www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/38375.aspx
- Tube: North Greenwich, then bus 161 or 472; National Rail: Charlton (from London Bridge), then bus 177 or 180.
- Location: Greenwich
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are planning a trip next summer and would like to visit England, Scotland, and Wales. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more