- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Dennis Severs' House
Dennis Severs' House Review
An extraordinary time-machine of a house, this mansion was the creation of Dennis Severs (1948–99), a performer-designer-scholar from Escondido, California, who dedicated his life to restoring this Georgian terraced house. More than that, he created "still-life dramas" using sight, sound, and smell to evoke the world of a fictitious family of Hugenot silk weavers, the Jervises, who might have inhabited the house between 1728 and 1914. Each of the 10 rooms has a distinctive, compelling atmosphere that encourages visitors to become lost in another time. The rooms are shadowy set-pieces of rose-laden Victorian wallpaper, Jacobean paneling, Georgian wing chairs, Baroque carved ornaments, "Protestant" colors (upstairs), and "Catholic" shades (downstairs). Don't miss it! The "Silent Night" candlelight tours, each Monday and Wednesday evening, are the most theatrical and memorable way to "feel" the house; this is a magical experience relished by both Londoners and out-of-towners. Private individual Silent Night tours are available one night per month, and private group visits can also be arranged.
- Address: 18 Folgate St., Spitalfields, London, E1 6BX | Map It
- Phone: 020/7247–4013
- Cost: £10 Sun., £7 Mon., £14 Mon. and Wed. evenings
- Hours: Sundays 12–4 (last admission 3:15); 1st and 3rd Mon. noon–2 (last admission 1:15); Mon. and Wed. 6–8 (reservations essential)
- Website: www.dennissevershouse.co.uk
- Tube: Shoreditch High Street Overground.
- Location: East End
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more