- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Syon House and Park
Syon House and Park Review
The residence of the duke and duchess of Northumberland, this is one of England's most lavish stately homes. Set in a 55-acre park landscaped by "Capability" Brown, the core of the house is Tudor—Henry VIII's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, and the extremely short-lived monarch, lady Jane Grey ("Queen for thirteen days"), made pit stops here before they were sent to the Tower. It was remodeled in the Georgian style in 1761 by famed decorator Robert Adam. He had just returned from studying the sights of classical antiquity in Italy and created two rooms sumptuous enough to wow any Grand Tourist: the entryway is an amazing study in black and white, pairing neoclassical marbles with antique bronzes, and the Ante-Room contains 12 enormous verd-antique columns surmounted by statues of gold—and this was just a waiting room for the duke's servants and retainers. The Red Drawing Room is covered with crimson Spitalfields silk, and the Long Gallery is one of Adam's noblest creations. On certain Sundays and bank holidays in the summer you can take a miniature steam-train ride in the grounds.
- Address: Syon Park, Brentford, London, TW8 8JF | Map It
- Phone: 020/8560–0882
- Cost: £11 for house, gardens, conservatory, and rose garden; £5 for gardens and conservatory
- Hours: House mid-Mar.–Oct., Wed., Thurs., Sun., and bank holidays 11–5; gardens mid-Mar.–Oct., daily 10:30–5; Nov.–mid-Mar. weekends 10:30–4. Last admission 1 hr before closing
- Website: www.syonpark.co.uk
- Tube: Gunnersbury, then bus 237 or 267 to Brentlea.
- Location: The Thames Upstream
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Hub and I are arriving in London on the Eurostar and need to get to Fleet River Bakery, near the Holburn tube stop. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more