- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Ham House Review
To the west of Richmond Park, overlooking the Thames and nearly opposite the memorably named Eel Pie Island, Ham House was built in 1610 and remodelled 50 years later. It's one of the most complete examples in Europe of a lavish 17th-century house, together with a restored formal garden that has become an influential source for other European palaces and grand villas. The original decorations in the Great Hall, Round Gallery, and Great Staircase have been replicated, and all the furniture and fittings are on permanent loan from the Victoria & Albert Museum. A tranquil and scenic way to reach the house is on foot, which takes about 30 minutes, along the eastern riverbank south from Richmond Bridge.
- Address: Ham St., Richmond, London, TW10 7RS | Map It
- Phone: 020/8940–1950
- Cost: House, gardens, and outbuildings £10.90; gardens only £3.65
- Hours: House mid-Feb.–Mar., Sat.–Mon. 11:30–3:30; Apr.–Sept., Sat.–Wed. noon–4; Oct.–Nov., Sat.–Tues. 11:30–3. Gardens Nov.–mid-Feb., daily 11–4; mid-Feb.–Oct., daily 11–5
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Tube: Richmond, then bus 65 or 371.
- Location: The Thames Upstream
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I'll be spending some time in Europe this summer and was curious thoughts on European fashion for a larger man. I'm 6' 2" and generally wear XL. Most of the European fashion I see is for skinny Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more