- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Kew Palace and Queen Charlotte's Cottage
Kew Palace and Queen Charlotte's Cottage Review
The elegant red-brick exterior of the smallest of Britain's royal palaces seems almost humble when compared with the grandeur of, say, Buckingham or Kensington palaces. Yet inside is a fascinating glimpse into life at the uppermost end of society from the 17th to 19th centuries. This is actually the third of several palaces that stood here; once known as Dutch House, it was one of the havens to which George III retired when insanity forced him to withdraw from public life. Queen Charlotte had an orné—a rustic-style cottage retreat—added in the late 18th century. In a marvelously regal flight of fancy, she kept kangaroos in the paddock outside. The main house and gardens are maintained in the 18th- century style. There are extended tours of the palace on a few Sunday evenings each summer that cover areas not usually on show, such as the Tudor undercroft. Check the website for details.The palace is within the grounds of Kew Gardens so you have to buy a ticket to the gardens in addition to the palace if you want to enter.
- Address: Kew Gardens, Kew Rd. at Lichfield Rd., Kew, London, TW9 3AB | Map It
- Phone: 0844/482 7777 (only in U.K.); 020/3166–6000
- Cost: £6, in addition to ticket for Kew Gardens
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., daily 10–5:15; Oct., Thurs.–Sun 11–4; also daily during school holidays, late Oct. and late Feb. (call to confirm times)
- Website: www.hrp.org.uk
- Tube: Kew Gardens.
- Location: The Thames Upstream
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Our multi-continent family is meeting in London for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more