- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Ranger's House and the Wernher Collection
Ranger's House and the Wernher Collection Review
This handsome, early-18th-century villa, which was the Greenwich Park ranger's official residence during the 19th century, is hung with Stuart and Jacobean portraits. But the most interesting diversion is the Wernher Collection, more than 700 works of art amassed by diamond millionaire Julius Wernher (1850–1912) and once housed in his fabulous stately house, Lutton Hoo. The collection ranges from Old and Dutch Master paintings to Renaissance jewelry and assorted pieces of decorative art and curios from the medieval period onward. Wernher's American wife, Birdie, was a strong influence and personality during the Belle Epoque, which is easy to imagine from her striking portrait by Sargent. The Ranger's House is just under a mile's walk from the DLR station at Greenwich, or you can catch a bus there from Greenwich or Deptford DLR.
- Address: Blackheath, Chesterfield Walk, Greenwich Park Greenwich, London, SE10 8QX | Map It
- Phone: 020/8853–0035
- Cost: £6.70
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., Mon.–Wed. guided tours only, 11:30 and 2:30; Sun. 11–5; call ahead to confirm
- Website: www.english-heritage.org.uk
- Tube: DLR: Deptford Bridge then bus 53; or Greenwich then bus 386.
- Location: Greenwich
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I'll be spending some time in Europe this summer and was curious thoughts on European fashion for a larger man. I'm 6' 2" and generally wear XL. Most of the European fashion I see is for skinny Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more