- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Keats House Review
It was while living in this house between 1818 and 1820 that poet John Keats (1795–1821), a leading figure of the Romantic movement, fell in love with girl-next-door Fanny Brawne and wrote some of his best-loved poems before ill health forced him to move to Rome, where he died the following year. After a major refurbishment to make the rooms more consistent with their original Regency decor, the house now displays all sorts of Keats-related material including portraits, letters, many of the poet's original manuscripts and books, the engagement ring he gave to Fanny, and items of Fanny's clothing. A pretty garden contains the plum tree under which Keats supposedly composed Ode to a Nightingale. There are frequent guided tours and special events featuring local literary luminaries. The ticket gives you entry for a full year, so you can come back as often as you like. Picnics can be taken into the grounds during the summer.
- Address: 10 Keats Grove, Hampstead, London, NW3 2RR | Map It
- Phone: 020/7332–3868
- Cost: £5
- Hours: Mar.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 1–5; Nov.–Feb., Fri.–Sun. 1–5 (last admission 4:30)
- Website: www.keatshouse.cityoflondon.gov.uk
- Tube: Overground: Hampstead Heath.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
Last night I had dinner in the Aqua restaurant in the Shard, on the 31st floor, with my colleagues, to celebrate a profitable six months, and the hard work and long hours put in by the team Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more