- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
18 Stafford Terrace
18 Stafford Terrace Review
The home of Punch cartoonist Edward Linley Sambourne in the 1870s is filled with delightful Victorian and Edwardian antiques, fabrics, and paintings (as well as several samples of Linley Sambourne's work for Punch) and is one of the most charming 19th-century London houses extant—small wonder that it was used in Merchant Ivory's A Room with a View. The Italianate house was the scene for society parties when Anne Messel was in residence in the 1940s. This being Kensington, there's inevitably a royal connection: Messel's son, Antony Armstrong-Jones, was married to the late Princess Margaret, and their son has preserved the connection by taking the title Viscount Linley. Admission is by guided tour only, and the afternoon tours on weekends are given by costumed actors.
- Address: 18 Stafford Terr., Kensington, London, W8 7BH | Map It
- Phone: 0207/602–3316
- Cost: £8
- Hours: Guided tours Wed. 11:15, 2:15, weekends 11:15, 1, 2:15, 3:30. Closed mid-June–mid-Sept.
- Website: www.rbkc.gov.uk (under Leisure and Libraries)
- Tube: High Street Kensington.
- Location: Kensington, Chelsea, and Knightsbridge
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Just about have my England itinerary finalized, all accommodations booked (except one). Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more