- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Garden Museum
The Garden Museum Review
This rather unassuming museum was created in the mid-1970s after two gardening enthusiasts came upon a medieval church which, they were horrified to discover, was about to be bulldozed. The churchyard contained the tombs of two adventurous 17th-century plant collectors, a father and son both called John Tradescant, who introduced many new species to England. Inspired to action, the gardeners rescued the church and opened this museum. It has subsequently acquired one of the largest collections of historic garden tools, artifacts, and curiosities in Britain, in addition to creating beautiful walled gardens that are maintained year-round by dedicated volunteers. It's also worth visiting the church itself, which contains the tombs of William Bligh, captain of the Bounty, several members of the Boleyn family, and quite a few Archbishops of Canterbury. As well, there's a green-thumb gift shop and Garden Café, serving vegetarian lunches and home-baked cakes—the toffee-apple variety is a must!
- Address: 5 Lambeth Palace Rd., Lambeth, London, SE1 7LB | Map It
- Phone: 020/7401–8865
- Cost: £6 (includes garden and all exhibitions)
- Hours: Sun.–Fri. 10:30–5; Sat. 10:30–4; closed 1st Mon. of month
- Website: www.gardenmuseum.org.uk
- Tube: Lambeth North, Vauxhall.
- Location: The South Bank
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
Last night I had dinner in the Aqua restaurant in the Shard, on the 31st floor, with my colleagues, to celebrate a profitable six months, and the hard work and long hours put in by the team Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more