- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
London Dungeon Review
Saved by a keen sense of its own borderline ridiculousness, this Grand Guignol gory attraction is more funny than frightening, with tableaux depicting the bloody demise of famous figures alongside the torture, murder, and ritual slaughter of lesser-known victims, all to a soundtrack of screaming, wailing, and agonized moaning. There are displays on the Great Plague, Henry VIII, and Jack the Ripper, and, to add to the fear and fun, costumed characters leap out of the gloom to bring the exhibits to life. Perhaps most shocking are the crowds of children baying to get in—kids absolutely adore this place, although those with more a sensitive disposition may find it too frightening (that goes for adults as well). If you've ever wondered what a disembowelment looks like, this is your chance to find out. Be sure to get the souvenir booklet to impress all your friends back home. Expect long lines on weekends and during school holidays. Savings are available for online booking.
- Address: County Hall, Westminster Bridge Rd., South Bank, London, SE1 7PB | Map It
- Phone: 0870/423–2240
- Cost: From £17.95
- Hours: Mid-July–Aug., Fri.–Wed. 10–7, Thurs. 11–7; Sept.–mid-July., Mon.–Wed. and Fri. 10–5, Thurs. 11–5, weekends 10–6. Phone or check website to confirm times.
- Website: www.thedungeons.com
- Tube: Waterloo.
- Location: The South Bank
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
My wife and I are planning a trip to London in June. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more