- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Dulwich Picture Gallery
Dulwich Picture Gallery Review
Famed for its regal Old Master painting collection, the Dulwich (pronounced "Dull-ich") Picture Gallery was Britain's first purpose-built art museum when it opened in 1811. The permanent collection includes landmark works by Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Rubens, Poussin, and Gainsborough, and it also hosts three major international exhibitions each year. The gallery has a lovely café serving meals and drinks, and there's a schedule of family activities (see website for details). Development in Dulwich Village is tightly controlled. Consequently, it feels a bit like a time capsule, with old-fashioned street signs and handsome 18th-century houses lining its main street. Take a short wander and you'll find a handful of cute clothing and crafts stores and the well-manicured Dulwich Park, which has lakeside walks and a fine display of rhododendrons in late May.
- Address: Gallery Rd., Dulwich, London, SE21 7AD | Map It
- Phone: 020/8693–5254
- Cost: £5–£11; free guided tours weekends at 3
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. and bank holiday Mon. 10–5
- Website: www.dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk
- Tube: National Rail: West Dulwich from Victoria or North Dulwich from London Bridge.
- Location: The South Bank
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are planning a trip next summer and would like to visit England, Scotland, and Wales. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more