- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Old Bailey
The Old Bailey Review
England and Wales don't allow cameras in courtrooms, so the only way to see a trial in action is to show up. The most high-profile ones usually happen here, at any of the 16 public courtrooms of the Central Criminal Court (universally known as "The Old Bailey"—a reference to the fact that it sits atop a section of the old London wall, or "bailey" in Medieval English). Oscar Wilde stood trial here for "gross indecency" (homosexuality) in 1895, but far darker souls than his have passed through these doors, including the nation's most notorious murderers, fraudsters, gangsters, and traitors. The day's proceedings are posted outside; there are security restrictions and children under 14 are not allowed. The Old Bailey was originally part of Newgate Prison, England's most feared gaol (jail) after the Tower, in use from the 12th century all the way to 1902. The present building dates from 1907. Note the 12-foot gilded statue of Justice perched on top; she's not, as is commonly thought, wearing a blindfold—her female form was thought by the Edwardians to imply virtue enough.
- Address: Newgate St., The City, London, EC4M 7EH | Map It
- Phone: 020/7248–3277 information
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Public Galleries Mon.–Fri., 10–1, 2–5 (approximately). Line forms at Newgate St. entrance or in Warwick St. Passage; closed Monday holidays and day after.
- Website: www.cityoflondon.gov.uk
- Tube: St. Paul's.
- Location: The City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more