Fodor's London 25 Best
Mobile AppDownload London - Fodor's Travel for FREE!
Commemorating the "dreadful visitation" of the Great Fire of London, in 1666, this huge stone column stands both 202 feet tall and exactly 202 feet from Farrier's baking house in Pudding Lane, where the fire started. (Note the gilded urb of fire at the column's pinnacle.) It was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Dr. Robert Hooke, who were asked to erect it "on or as neere unto the place where the said Fire soe unhappily began as conveniently may be." The view of the City from the top is spectacular, but if climbing the 311 steps seems too arduous, you can watch a live view relayed on a screen at the entrance.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In a couple of days we will be off to London and Italy. Traveling with my husband (DH) and 2 children (10 & 13) DD and DS. We are off... Read more
Aided by every guide book and travel video ever created about Scotland, a lifetime of my father's stories about the family clan, and ... Read more