- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's London 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Barbican Centre Review
The Barbican is an enormous 1980s concrete maze that Londoners either love or hate—but the importance of the complex to the cultural life of the capital is beyond dispute. It houses two theaters; the London Symphony Orchestra and its auditorium; the Guildhall School of Music and Drama; a major art gallery for changing exhibitions; two movie theaters; a convention center; an upscale restaurant, cafés, terraces with fountains, and bookshops; and living space in some of the most desirable apartments in the City. Navigation around the complex is via the yellow lines running, Wizard-of-Oz-like, along the floors, with signs on the walls, although it's still easy to get lost. Actors and audiences alike rate the theater for its excellent acoustics and sightlines. The lively and varied programme encompasses all kinds of performance, including music, dance, theater, and film.
- Address: Silk St., The City, London, EC2Y 8DS | Map It
- Phone: 020/7638–8891 box office
- Cost: Barbican Centre free; prices for individual performances and exhibitions vary
- Hours: Barbican Centre Mon.–Sat. 9 am–11 pm, Sun. and holidays noon–11; gallery Sat.–Wed. 10–6; Thurs.–Fri. 10–9
- Website: www.barbican.org.uk
- Tube: Barbican, Moorgate.
- Location: The City
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
The new Rosewood London is London's latest luxury property, touting a hip twist on Edwardian style, complete ... Read more
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more