- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
Theatre Royal, Drury Lane Review
This is London's best-known auditorium and almost its largest. Since World War II, Drury Lane's forte has been musicals (from My Fair Lady and South Pacific to Miss Saigon and Shrek)—though David Garrick, who managed the theater from 1747 to 1776, made its name by reviving the works of the by-then-obscure William Shakespeare. Drury Lane enjoys all the romantic accessories of a London theater—a history of fires (it burned down three times), riots (in 1737, when a posse of footmen demanded free admission), attempted regicides (George II in 1716 and his grandson George III in 1800), and even sightings of the most famous phantom of theaterland, the Man in Grey (in the Circle during matinees). One-hour dramatized tours, led by actors, are available.
- Address: Catherine St., Covent Garden, London, WC2B 5JF | Map It
- Phone: 020/7494–5000; 0844/412–2705 Tour reservations
- Cost: Tours £9
- Hours: Through the Stage Door tours: Mon.–Wed. and Fri. 2:15 and 4:15; Thurs. and Sat. 10:15 and 11:45. Sun by arrangement
- Website: www.reallyuseful.com
- Tube: Covent Garden.
- Location: Soho and Covent Garden
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
Our multi-continent family is meeting in London for Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
'Tis the season at London Heathrow, which almost seems like a giant shopping mall with an airport attached.... Read more
The beacons of hotel-cool are at it again, this time across the pond.... Read more
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.... Read more