- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Pier Head Review
Here you can take a ferry across the River Mersey to Birkenhead and Seacombe. Mersey Ferries depart regularly and offer fine views of the city—a journey celebrated in "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey," Gerry and the Pacemakers' 1964 hit song. It was from Pier Head that 9 million British, Irish, and other European emigrants set sail between 1830 and 1930 for new lives in North America, Australia, and Africa. The ferry terminal is home to the Beatles Story, so you might want to make this the last stop on your Beatles tour.
- Address: Pier Head Ferry Terminal, off A5036, Waterfront, Liverpool, L3 1DR | Map It
- Phone: 0151/330–1444
- Cost: £4 round-trip, cruises £8; with U-Boat Story £12.
- Hours: Ferries every 20 mins weekdays 7:20–9:40 and 4:10–7:05; cruises hourly weekdays 10–3, weekends 10–6
- Website: www.merseyferries.co.uk
- Location: Liverpool
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Hub and I are arriving in London on the Eurostar and need to get to Fleet River Bakery, near the Holburn tube stop. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more