The city's sandstone cathedral, set beside the River Irwell and originally a medieval parish church dating in part from the 15th century, is unusually broad for its length and has the widest medieval nave in Britain. Inside, angels with gilded instruments look down from the roof of the nave, and misericords (the undersides of choristers' seats) in the early 16th-century choir stalls reveal intriguing carvings. The octagonal chapter house dates from 1485. There are free
guided tours daily, year-round.