- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Manchester is compact enough that you can easily walk across the city center in 40 minutes. Deansgate and Princess Street, the main thoroughfares, run roughly north–south and west–east; the lofty terra-cotta Victorian Town Hall sits in the middle, close to the visitor center and the fine Manchester Art Gallery. Dominating the skyline at the southern end of Deansgate is Manchester's highest building, Beetham Tower, which houses a Hilton Hotel and marks the beginning of the Castlefield Urban Heritage Park, with the Museum of Science and Industry and the canal system. The Whitworth Art Gallery is a bus ride from downtown; otherwise, all other central sights are within easy walking distance of the Town Hall. Take a Metrolink tram 2 miles south for the Salford Quays dockland area, with the Lowry and the Imperial War Museum; you can spend half a day or more in this area. Keep in mind that the museums are both excellent and free.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's