- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Ely Cathedral Review
Known affectionately as the Ship of the Fens, Ely Cathedral can be seen for miles, towering above the flat landscape on one of the few ridges in the fens. In 1083 the Normans began work on the cathedral, which stands on the site of a Benedictine monastery founded by the Anglo-Saxon princess Etheldreda in 673. In the center of the cathedral you see a marvel of medieval construction—the unique octagonal Lantern Tower, a sort of stained-glass skylight of colossal proportions, built to replace the central tower that collapsed in 1322. The cathedral's West Tower is even taller; the view from the top (if you can manage the 288 steps) is spectacular. Tours of both towers are daily between April and October and on weekends between November and March. The cathedral is also notable for its 248-foot-long nave, with its simple Norman arches and Victorian painted ceiling. Much of the decorative carving of the 14th-century Lady Chapel was defaced during the Reformation (mostly by knocking off the heads of the statuary), but enough traces remain to show its original beauty.
The cathedral houses a superior Stained Glass Museum, up a flight of 42 steps. Exhibits trace the history of stained glass from medieval to modern times. Ely Cathedral is a popular location for films; it doubled for Westminster Abbey in The King's Speech (2010). Guided tours begin daily at 10:45, 1, and 2, with an additional tour at 3 on weekends and also weekdays between April and October. Always call ahead about tours, as times are subject to change.
- Address: The Gallery, Ely, CB7 4DL | Map It
- Phone: 01353/667735
- Cost: £7 including tour; with Octagon Tower or West Tower £8.50; with Stained Glass Museum £10.20; combined ticket £16.20
- Hours: May–Oct., daily 7–6:30; Nov.–Apr., Mon.–Sat. 7:30–6:30, Sun. 7:30–5:30
- Website: www.elycathedral.org
- Location: Ely
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more