Lacock Abbey Review
Well-preserved Lacock Abbey reflects the fate of many religious establishments in England—a spiritual center became a home. The abbey, at the town's center, was founded in the 13th century and closed down during the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, when its new owner, Sir William Sharington, demolished the church and converted the cloisters, sacristy, chapter house, and monastic quarters into a private dwelling. The house passed to the Talbot family, the most notable descendant of whom was William Henry Fox Talbot (1800–77), who developed the world's first photographic negative. You can see the oriel window, the subject of this photograph in the upper rooms of the abbey, along with a rare 16th-century purpose-built strong room in the octagonal tower. The last descendant, Matilda Talbot, donated the property as well as Lacock itself to the National Trust in the 1940s. The abbey's grounds and Victorian woodland are also worth a wander. Harry Potter fans, take note: Lacock Abbey was used for some scenes at Hogwarts School in the film Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
The Fox Talbot Museum, in a 16th-century barn at the gates of Lacock Abbey, commemorates the work of Fox Talbot as well as other pioneers and contmeporary artists in this field.
- Address: High St., Lacock, SN15 2LG | Map It
- Phone: 01249/730459
- Cost: £11.20; excluding Abbey rooms £8.50
- Hours: Abbey rooms mid-Feb.–Oct., Wed.–Mon. 11–5; early Nov.–mid. Dec., weekends noon–4. Cloister, museum, and grounds mid-Feb.–Oct., daily 10:30–5:30; Nov.–mid-Feb., daily 11–4. Last admission 45 mins before closing
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Lacock
View deals in Bath and the Cotswolds for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More