- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Fredensborg Palace (Castle of Peace)
Fredensborg Palace (Castle of Peace) Review
Fredensborg Palace, was built by Frederik IV to commemorate the 1720 peace treaty in which Denmark relinquished much of southern Sweden. Originally inspired by French and Italian castles, its style was diluted by later reconstructions, but it has long been a place where the royals actually enjoy living. Today, it's one of the most-used residences of the Danish royal family, particularly in the spring and fall. Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian-born wife Princess Mary make their full-time home in the castle's Chancellery House, and little prince Christian goes to a local public school. When the Queen is present, the Royal Life Guards sound taps at 10pm. At noon every day there's the changing of the guard. The palace is open to the public in July only.
Open year-round is the stately Slotshave (castle garden), inspired by the French gardens of Versailles. Denmark's largest historical garden is well worth a stroll. A small section called den reserverede have (the reserved garden) is used privately by the royal family but open to the public in July. The reserved garden includes a flower garden, a vegetable garden that supplies the castle, and the orangerie where Denmark's oldest myrtles, which date from the 1750s, are preserved.
- Address: Fredensborg, Fredensborg, 3480 | Map It
- Phone: 33/40–31–87
- Cost: With guided tour only: DKr 50. Reserved gardens: DKr 40. Combined ticket: DKr 75
- Hours: July: castle daily 1–4:30 (guided tours every 15 mins); reserved garden daily 9–5.
- Website: www.ses.dk/398d55f0
- Location: Fredensborg
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We just spent 6 days in Copenhagen and 1 in Malmo. Read more
I'm going to start this report with a high-level overview of the trip, then add details as I have time. Read more
Friday afternoon-Our family planned a weekend trip to Copenhagen in April. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more