Banks are open 9:30 to 4 most weekdays (though many have hours until 5:30 or 6 on Thursday). Shops are open from 9:30 or 10 to 5 or 6 weekdays, Saturday from 9 to 5, and are closed on Sunday. Monday is the most common day for museums to go dark. Major holidays include: New Years Eve and Day, Holy (Maundy) Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday, Ascension (40 days after Easter), Whitsun/Pentecost (Sunday and Monday 10 days after Ascension), Constitution Day (June 5), Midsummer Eve and Day (late June), Christmas Eve and Day, and Boxing Day (day after Christmas).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe