- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
The gentle waters of the Limfjord cut off the top segment of Jutland completely. Perched on its narrowest point is Aalborg, Denmark's fourth-largest city, which includes the youthful Aalborg University, founded in 1974. Aalborg began in 692 as the gateway between north and mid-Jutland. It was granted a municipal charter in 1342, and the Limfjord has been crucial to the city's economy since the heyday of the herring industry.
Aalborg at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe