Shopping in Copenhagen
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A showcase for world-famous Danish design and craftsmanship, Copenhagen seems to have been set up with shoppers in mind. In fact, its very name (København in Danish), means the "merchant's harbor," because it was once a major center of trade. The spirit of those days remains, with countless specialty shops in almost every corner of the city. The best buys are such luxury items as amber, crystal, porcelain, silver, and furs. Danish clothing design is now coming into fashion and is considered one of the nation's most important exports.
Look for offers and sales (tilbud or udsalg in Danish) and check antiques and secondhand shops for classics at cut-rate prices. Although prices are inflated by a hefty 25% Value-Added Tax (Danes call it moms), non–European Union citizens can receive about an 18% refund if they are willing to do the paperwork. For more details and a list of all tax-free shops, ask at the tourist office for a copy of the Tax-Free Shopping Guide, or visit the website Global Blue (www.global-blue.com).
Browse Copenhagen Shopping
Browse Copenhagen Shopping By Location
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's