- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Copenhagen's best-known attraction, conveniently next to its main train station, attracts an astounding 4 million people from mid-April to mid-September. Tivoli is more than just an amusement park: among its attractions are a pantomime theater, an open-air stage, 38 restaurants (some of them very elegant), and frequent concerts, which cover the spectrum from classical to rock to jazz. Fantastic flower exhibits color the lush gardens and float on the swan-filled ponds.
The park was established in the 1840s, when Danish architect George Carstensen persuaded a worried King Christian VIII to let him build an amusement park on the edge of the city's fortifications, rationalizing that "when people amuse themselves, they forget politics." The Tivoli Guard, a youth version of the Queen's Royal Guard, performs every day. Try to see Tivoli at least once by night, when 100,000 colored lanterns illuminate the Chinese pagoda and the main fountain. Some evenings there are also fireworks displays. Call to check the season's opening and closing dates as well as family discounts. Tivoli is also open select hours around Halloween and from mid-November until late December.
- Address: Vesterbrog. 3, (on border of Vesterbro district) Centrum, Copenhagen, 1630 | Map It
- Phone: 33/15–10–01
- Cost: Grounds: DKr 95. Unlimited ride pass: DKr 199
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., Sun.–Thurs. 11 am to 10 or 11 pm, Fri. 11 am–12:30 am, Sat. 11–midnight
- Website: www.tivoli.dk
- Location: Copenhagen
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We just spent 6 days in Copenhagen and 1 in Malmo. Read more
I'm going to start this report with a high-level overview of the trip, then add details as I have time. Read more
I'm looking for hotels in Bergen, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Read more