Chodová Planá Review
Need a break from the rigorous healthiness of spa life? The Pivovarská restaurace a muzeum ve skále (Brewery Restaurant & Museum in the Rock) is a few miles south of Mariánské Lázně in an underground complex of granite tunnels that have been used to age beer since the 1400s. Generous servings of Czech dishes—including a whole roast suckling pig—can be ordered to accompany the strong, fresh Chodovar beer tapped directly from granite storage vaults. Giant tanks of aging beer and brewing memorabilia can be seen through glass windows on the way in. You can tour the brewery, but don't expect much English commentary. The brewery also offers "beer spas," starting at 660 Kč. A beer-lover's fantasy, clients dip into a 20-minute soak in warm dark "bathing beer," followed by a 20-minute relaxation period and a glass of Chodovar, taken orally, of course. The brewery promises it will cause a mild and gradual rise in heart activity and "scour away any unhealthy substances that may have accumulated." A 20-minute "pack in hot grains," which will presumably cause you to ferment, is also available.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's