- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Státní zámek Hluboká (State Château Hluboká)
Státní zámek Hluboká (State Château Hluboká) Review
Hluboká's main focus is its castle, with a cluster of white towers flanking its walls, and tour groups pop in and out regularly. Although the structure dates from the 13th century, what you see is pure 19th-century excess, perpetrated by the wealthy Schwarzenberg family attempting to prove their good taste. If you think you've seen this castle somewhere before, you're probably thinking of Windsor Castle, near London, which served as the template. Take a tour; the happy hodgepodge of styles in the interior reflects the no-holds-barred tastes of the time. On Tour A you'll see representative rooms, including the stunning morning salon and library. Tour B brings you into the private apartments and hunting salon, while Tour C takes in the kitchen. Tour D is available daily only in July and August, and weekends in June and September, and shows off the tower and chapel. Check out the wooden Renaissance ceiling in the large dining room, which was removed by the Schwarzenbergs from the castle at Český Krumlov and brought here. Also look for the beautiful late-baroque bookshelves in the library. The gardens are free to wander in.
Galerie Mikolaše Alše. Located near the chateau, the region's museum for art history displays a variety of works including sculpture, paintings, and porcelain. It's one of the most extensive collections of Gothic art in the country, and temporary exhibitions range from modern to contemporary. Hluboká nad Vltavou čp. 144, Hluboká nad Vltavou, 373 41. www.ajg.cz. 80 Kč.
- Address: Zamék 142, Hluboká nad Vltavou, Bohemia 373 41
- Phone: 387–843–911
- Cost: Tour A: 250 Kč, Tour B: 230 Kč, Tour C: 170 Kč, Tour D: 40 Kč
- Hours: Nov.–Mar., Tues.–Sun. 10–noon and 12:30–4; Apr. and Sept.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 9–noon and 12:30–4:30; May–Aug., Tues.–Sun., 9–noon and 12:30–5
- Website: www.zamek-hluboka.eu
- Location: Hluboká nad Vltavou
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
We will be traveling from Brno to Budapest in June. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more