- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Jindřichův Hradec's Castle
Jindřichův Hradec's Castle Review
As the third-largest castle in the Czech Republic, this is the dominant structure in town, holding 300 rooms and 10,000 pieces of art. Behind the courtyard and its elegant Italian arcades, the castle's core is pure Gothic splendor, reflected not only in its thick defensive walls and round tower but also in the frescoes covering interior corridors. Colorful examples of medieval coats of arms and a panorama depicting the legend of St. George date from 1338. Over the course of centuries, buildings of an adjoining Renaissance-era château were added to the early Gothic castle, together forming a large complex. There are three different marked routes through the castle for visitors to follow. Tour A is best for design lovers; you'll visit the Adam building, which includes glimpses of Renaissance, baroque, rococo, Empire, and classical styles, as well as see numerous paintings from a previous owner's vast collection. Tour B takes you to the castle's Gothic and medieval core the Chapel of the Holy Spirit, and the Royal Hall. Tour C offers the opportunity to visit 18th and 19th century apartments as well as the Rondel, a bit of an architectural oddity set in this Gothic scene, designed by an Italian in the 16th century. The official term for the decor is "European Mannerism," but it really resembles a big pink cake with confectionary images of aristocratic dancers and musicians. Built as a ballroom, this space still hosts the occasional concert. Wander the exterior courtyards for free, or simply climb the Black Tower for a view of the castle and surrounding area.
- Address: Dobrovského 1, Jindřichův Hradec, Bohemia 377 01
- Phone: 384–321–279
- Cost: Tour A: 180 Kč; Tours B and C 160 Kč each; entire complex 390 Kč; Black Tower 25 Kč.
- Hours: Apr. and Oct., Tues.–Sun. 10–4; May and Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–5; June–Aug., daily 9–5; Tours B not available in April and October; Tour C not available in April, May, September and October.
- Website: www.zamek-jindrichuvhradec.eu
- Location: Jindřichův Hradec
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Hi, there. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more