- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A direct bus to Ceský Krumlov leaves Prague from both the Florenc and the Na Knízecí stations. The trip lasts a hair under three hours, and costs 150 Kc. There's no direct train; with a change at Ceské Budejovice, a train trip clocks in at more than four hours and costs 250 Kc. Note that the train station is a 20-minute hike from the main square, while the bus station is much closer. Your best choice would be to purchase a bus ticket a day or two before travel; Ceský Krumlov is a popular destination.
Car travel from Prague is fairly straightforward and takes three hours. Simply follow the directions to Ceské Budejovice, and once there follow the signs to Ceský Krumlov. When you arrive in Ceský Krumlov you'll be confronted by a confusing array of public parking areas, with no indication of how close the parking lot is to the Old Town. One safe bet is to use Parking Lot No. 2, which if you follow the tiny lanes as far as they go, will bring you to just behind the town brewery, and an easy 10-minute walk from the main square.
Wintertime can be lonely in Ceský Krumlov, and most of the sites are closed, including the castle. On the flipside, avoid weekends in the summer; hordes of tourists, both Czech and German, flood the streets. Also, midday when the tour buses arrive can be a bit overwhelming. The city holds a Renaissance festival called the Five-Petaled Rose Celebration every June; an Early Music Festival and an International Music Festival in July; an Autumn Fair at the end of September; and a number of holiday events in December.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy the Czech Republic! Flights to Prague From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book Now & Save! Prague Fr $95+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 4-Star Carlton Fr $94+/Nt Expedia
- Prague 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1198 Expedia
- Visit Prague with Uniworld Boutique Cruises! 16 Nts Fr $6,179 Expedia