- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Czech complex of regional bus lines known collectively as CSAD operates its dense network from the sprawling Florenc station. For information about routes and schedules, consult the confusingly displayed timetables posted at the station or visit the information window in the lower-level lobby, which is open daily from 6 am to 9 pm. The company's Web site will give you bus and train information in English (click on the British flag).
Most, but not all, buses use the Florenc station. Some buses—primarily those heading to smaller destinations in the south of the country—depart from above Roztyly metro station (Red Line, C). You won't know beforehand which buses leave from Roztyly, so you will have to ask first at Florenc. There's no central information center at Roztyly; you simply have to sort out the timetables at the bus stops or ask someone.
Buses offer an easier and quicker alternative to trains for many destinations. The western Bohemian spa town of Karlovy Vary, for example, is an easy two-hour bus ride away. The same journey by train—because of the circuitous rail route—often takes six hours.
Nearly any town or city in the Czech Republic, at least in theory, is reachable by bus, but bear in mind that the lines primarily serve the needs of commuters and run most frequently on workdays. Bus service falls off sharply nights, weekends, and holidays.
CSAD. Florenc station, Krizíkova 4, Karlín, Prague, Bohemia, 186 00. 900-144-444. www.idos.cz. Line B and C: Florenc.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy the Czech Republic! Flights to Prague From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save at 4-Star K+K Fenix: $172 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $42/night less
- Look no Further! Prague Hotels Fr $97+/Nt Travelocity
- Dream Deal: 1. Republic 4 Nts + Air Fr $1298 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 16 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $6,179 Expedia