- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Czech complex of regional bus lines known collectively as ČSAD operates its dense network from the sprawling Florenc station. For information about routes and schedules, consult the confusingly displayed timetables posted at the station or visit the information window in the lower-level lobby, which is open daily from 6 am to 9 pm. The company's Web site will give you bus and train information in English (click on the British flag).
Most, but not all, buses use the Florenc station. Some buses—primarily those heading to smaller destinations in the south of the country—depart from above Roztyly metro station (Red Line, C). You won't know beforehand which buses leave from Roztyly, so you will have to ask first at Florenc. There's no central information center at Roztyly; you simply have to sort out the timetables at the bus stops or ask someone.
Buses offer an easier and quicker alternative to trains for many destinations. The western Bohemian spa town of Karlovy Vary, for example, is an easy two-hour bus ride away. The same journey by train—because of the circuitous rail route—often takes six hours.
Nearly any town or city in the Czech Republic, at least in theory, is reachable by bus, but bear in mind that the lines primarily serve the needs of commuters and run most frequently on workdays. Bus service falls off sharply nights, weekends, and holidays.
ČSAD (Florenc station, Křižíkova 4, Karlín, Prague, Bohemia, 186 00. 900–144–444. www.idos.cz. Line B and C: Florenc.)
Eurolines (Prague, Bohemia. 224-218-680. www.eurolines.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe