- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Starý židovský hřbitov (Old Jewish Cemetery)
Starý židovský hřbitov (Old Jewish Cemetery) Review
An unforgettable sight, this cemetery is where all Jews living in Prague from the 15th century to 1787 were laid to rest. The lack of any space in the tiny ghetto forced graves to be piled on top of one another. Tilted at crazy angles, the 12,000 visible tombstones are but a fraction of countless thousands more buried below. Walk the path amid the gravestones; the relief symbols you see represent the names and professions of the deceased. The oldest marked grave belongs to the poet Avigdor Kara, who died in 1439; the grave is not accessible from the pathway, but the original tombstone can be seen in the Maisel Synagogue. The best-known marker belongs to Jehuda ben Bezalel, the famed Rabbi Loew (died 1609), a chief rabbi of Prague and a profound scholar, credited with creating the mythical Golem. Even today, small scraps of paper bearing wishes are stuffed into the cracks of the rabbi's tomb with the hope that he will grant them. Loew's grave lies near the exit.
- Address: Široká 3, enter through Pinkasova synagóga Josefov, Prague, Bohemia 110 00 | Map It
- Phone: 222–317–191
- Cost: Combined ticket to museums and Old-New Synagogue 480 Kč; museums only, 300 Kč
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., Sun.–Fri. 9–6; Nov.–Mar., Sun.–Fri. 9–4:30, closed during Jewish holidays.
- Website: www.jewishmuseum.cz
- Metro Line A: Staroměstská.
- Location: Josefov (Jewish Quarter)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
There are several refrences to Trip Advisor mainly because the folk i met were folk i had arranged to meet through TA or folk I have previously met through the TA forums.I hope you enjoy it.It is not a Read more
Hey guys, we just came back from Prague. Read more
Could anybody tell me, what is the "must see" in Prague? Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
Prague is a hot destination in summer months.... Read more
From chic new hotels to can't-miss art events, the season's top destinations are blossoming with fresh... Read more