- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Prague & the Best of the Czech Republic
Zlatá ulička (Golden Lane)
Zlatá ulička (Golden Lane) Review
A jumbled collection of tiny, ancient, brightly colored houses crouched under the fortification wall look remarkably like a set for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Purportedly, these were the lodgings for an international group of alchemists whom Rudolf II brought to the court to produce gold. But the truth is a little less romantic: The houses were built during the 16th century for the castle guards. By the early 20th century Golden Lane had become the home of poor artists and writers. Franz Kafka, who lived at No. 22 in 1916 and 1917, described the house on first sight as "so small, so dirty, impossible to live in, and lacking everything necessary." But he soon came to love the place. As he wrote to his fiancée: "Life here is something special, to close out the world not just by shutting the door to a room or apartment but to the whole house, to step out into the snow of the silent lane." The lane now holds tiny stores selling books, music, and crafts, and has become so popular that an admission fee is charged. The houses are cute, but crowds can be uncomfortable, and the fact remains that you are paying money for the privilege of shopping in jammed little stores. Within the walls above Golden Lane, a timber-roof corridor (enter between No. 23 and No. 24) is lined with replica suits of armor and weapons (some of them for sale), mock torture chambers, and the like.
- Address: Zlatá ulička, Pražský Hrad, Prague, Bohemia 118 00 | Map It
- Phone: 224–372–434
- Cost: Included in 2-day castle ticket (250 Kč–350 Kč)
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., daily 9–5; Nov.–Mar., daily 9–4
- Website: www.hrad.cz
- Metro Line A: Malostranská plus tram 22 to stop Pražský Hrad.
- Location: Pražský Hrad (Prague Castle)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Firstly, here's my blog page link: http://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com/my-travels-2/central-europe-austria-and-czech-republic/austria-and-prague/
It has quite a few pictures.
And I would like to thank Read more
Due to unavoidable circumstances our trip to Prague and Munich was called off last May. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
Prague is a hot destination in summer months.... Read more
From chic new hotels to can't-miss art events, the season's top destinations are blossoming with fresh... Read more