Královská zahrada (Royal Garden)
Královská zahrada (Royal Garden) Review
This peaceful swath of greenery affords lovely views of St. Vitus's Cathedral and the Castle's walls and bastions. Originally laid out in the 16th century, it endured devastation in war, neglect in times of peace, and many redesigns, reaching its present parklike form early in the 20th century. Luckily, its Renaissance treasures survived. One of these is the long, narrow Míčovna (Ball Game Hall), built by Bonifaz Wohlmut in 1568, its garden front completely covered by a dense tangle of allegorical sgraffiti.
The Královský letohrádek (Royal Summer Palace, also known as the Belvedere), at the garden's eastern end, deserves its unusual reputation as one of the most beautiful Renaissance structures north of the Alps. Italian architects began it; Wohlmut finished it off in the 1560s with a copper roof like an upturned boat's keel riding above the graceful arcades of the ground floor. During the 18th and 19th centuries military engineers tested artillery in the interior, which had already lost its rich furnishings to Swedish soldiers during their siege of the city in 1648. The Renaissance-style giardinetto (little garden) adjoining the summer palace centers on another masterwork, the Italian-designed, Czech-produced Singing Fountain, which resonates from the sound of falling water.
- Address: U Prašného mostu ulice and Mariánské hradby ulice near Chotkovy Park, Pražský Hrad, Prague, Bohemia, 118 00 | Map It
- Phone: /224–372–434
- Hours: Apr. and Oct., daily 10–6; May and Sept., daily 10–7; June and July, daily 10–9; Aug., daily 10–8.
- Website: www.hrad.cz
- Subway: Line A: Malostranská plus tram 22 to stop Pražský Hrad
- Location: Pražský Hrad (Prague Castle)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It was really written for Trip Advisor as I was meeting friends I had met through TA and also it s a forum I spend a lot of time on.... Read more
Our trip – May 16 thru May 29, 2014- Houston to Prague, 3 nights, train to Dresden, 2 nights, train to Berlin, 3 nights, fly to Par... Read more
In early September, my boyfriend and I are doing two weeks in Europe, and we'd love some help maximizing our time in each city. I've spel... Read more