- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hradcany (Castle Area)
To the west of Prague Castle is the residential Hradcany (Castle Area), a town that during the early 14th century emerged from a collection of monasteries and churches. The concentration of history packed into Prague Castle and Hradcany challenges those not versed in the ups and downs of Bohemian kings, religious uprisings, wars, and oppression—but there's no shame in taking it all in on a purely aesthetic level.
The picturesque area surrounding Prague Castle, with its jaw-dropping vistas of the Old Town and the Lesser Quarter, can be enjoyed by simply wandering. The Castle itself, with its vast history and architecture, is difficult to comprehensively appreciate without investing a little more time.
Hradcany (Castle Area) at a Glance
Elsewhere in Prague
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy the Czech Republic! Flights to Prague From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Stay in Prague this May Fr $247+/Nt Save with Expedia, $54/night less
- Book the Barcelo Old Town Praha 3 Nts in May Fr $475+/Nt Save with Expedia, $246/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Prague Fr $1108 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia