- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hradčany (Castle Area)
To the west of Prague Castle is the residential Hradčany (Castle Area), a town that during the early 14th century emerged from a collection of monasteries and churches. The concentration of history packed into Prague Castle and Hradčany challenges those not versed in the ups and downs of Bohemian kings, religious uprisings, wars, and oppression—but there's no shame in taking it all in on a purely aesthetic level.
The picturesque area surrounding Prague Castle, with its jaw-dropping vistas of the Old Town and the Lesser Quarter, can be enjoyed by simply wandering. The Castle itself, with its vast history and architecture, is difficult to comprehensively appreciate without investing a little more time.
Hradčany (Castle Area) at a Glance
Elsewhere in Prague
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe