Židovská čtvrt' (Jewish Quarter)
Židovská čtvrt' (Jewish Quarter) Review
A spiraling maze of winding streets, the Jewish Quarter has two synagogues and other buildings formerly used by the town's Jewish community. The Front Synagogue on Tiché náměstí is now used for Protestant services. Several houses in the district are intriguing, including a pink Renaissance house with an overhanging second floor at Pokorný 5. A trail of signs in English points out the remarkable spots. Remember your manners—most houses in this area are not museums, and people actually live in them.
Rear Synagogue. The Rear Synagogue has an exhibition of Jewish religious items and a wooden model of the ghetto as it was in the 1800s. A touch screen attached to the model provides audio information about the various buildings, with English as an option. Guided tours to the synagogue are available and also include a tour of the house of Seligmann Bauer. Subakova 44, 674 01. 568–610–023.
Jewish Cemetery. The Jewish Cemetery has 3,000 tombstones dating from the Renaissance up to the 20th century. It's free to enter, but guided tours can be arranged. The cemetery is closed on Saturday, but almost all of it can be seen from the gate and the low wall. Hrádek 14. 568–896–120.
- Address: Tiché náměstí, Třebíč, Moravia
- Cost: Rear Synagogue 80 Kč, Jewish Cemetery free
- Hours: Rear Synagogue: Jan.–June, Sept.–Nov., daily 9–5; July–Aug., daily 9–6; Dec. 9–4
- Location: Třebíč
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
There are several refrences to Trip Advisor mainly because the folk i met were folk i had arranged to meet through TA or folk I have previously met through the TA forums.I hope you enjoy it.It is not a Read more
Hey guys, we just came back from Prague. Read more
Could anybody tell me, what is the "must see" in Prague? Read more
· News & Features
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new ... Read more
Intergalactic photos of unbelievably beautiful star formations and swirling clouds above Earth's surface... Read more
The week after Thanksgiving means it's time to kick your planning mode into high gear.... Read more